FINE Champagne Magazine, the only international publication devoted to champagne and a renowned industry authority, announces its list of the “100 Best Champagnes for 2011”.
The magazine’s editorial team assessed over 1000 champagnes that are now available on the markets. After a three-day blind-tasting of the top 200 champagnes the panel selected 30 champagnes that were blind-tasted again in the finals in Reims, Champagne. In the tasting, the most important criteria were the quality of the wine and the champagne’s accessibility today. When the results were tabulated, the top ten included many familiar names but the unanimous first place winner was Piper-Heidsieck Rare 2002.
“Since 1976, the House has only released 8 vintages of Rare: 1976, 1979, 1985, 1988, 1990, 1998 en Magnum, 1999 and 2002,” says Régis Camus, chef de caves and chief winemaker at Maison Piper-Heidsieck. “Piper-Heidsieck Rare 2002 was my first Rare vintage so I am particularly honoured to hear that it has been selected as the number one champagne in the world by FINE Champagne Magazine.”
The full 100 Best Champagnes ranking can be read in the FINE Champagne Magazine coming out at the end of November. From January onwards the 100 Best Champagnes for 2011 will be available as an iPhone application.
TOP 10 Champagnes for 2011
1. Piper-Heidsieck Rare 2002 95p
2. Dom Pérignon Rosé 2000 95p
3. Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millénaires 1995 93p
4. Charles Heidsieck Vintage 2000 93p
5. Louis Roederer Cristal Rosé 2002 93p
6. Ruinart Dom Ruinart Rosé 1996 93p
7. Dom Pérignon 2002 92p
8. De Saint Gall Grand Cru Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs NV 92p
9. Veuve Clicquot Vintage 2002 92p
10. Chartogne-Taillet Fiacre NV 92p